Re: Wire wheel conversion

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wire wheel conversion
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:44:29 -0800
Why is the Moss conversion so much more expensive? This may be a case of the
fine print being meaningful! The Moss kit includes new brake drums, new
hubs, five new knock-offs, an adapter for the spare wheel mount, and all
necessary hardware - as well as five new chrome wire wheels. My recollection
is that the British Wire Wheel kit is just five new chrome wire wheels......

As for the lister's comment that Moss wheels are prone to breaking spokes,
this may have been true many years ago but I have installed many sets in the
last twenty or so years and have never had a customer report broken spokes.
It is true that chromed spokes can suffer hydrogen embrittlement which makes
them more prone to breakage but my understanding is that the manufacturer
addressed this problem a long time ago. That said, it is also true that BWW
wheels (made in the USA by Dayton) do have stainless steel spokes which do
not suffer this problem.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center