RE: Steering gear

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Steering gear
From: "Wayne" <eemgee@iinet.net.au>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 10:20:25 +1100
Subject: Steering gear

"I tried to address the problem of uneven tire wear on the front tires of
my TD by taking it to a wheel alignment shop.  They were unable to align
the front end because of too much play in the steering rack.

The inner ball joint has between < and = inch play, diagnosed by moving
the left front wheel from side to side."

Andy
My TF has exactly the same problem and I listed a question on the MG
Enthusiast's site but didn't get an answer, and as summer is fast
approaching here I need to do something soon.
Guess I'll have to pull the rack out, and fix it.
I think you'll find if you leave it, it will get worse, so you too might
have to bite the bullet and pull the rack out.
If you do yours first let me know how you get on, & when I do mine I'll let
you know although it might be some time before I work through the list that
SWMBO has waiting for me.

Wayne Styles
Tasmania
'53MGTF  '71MGB