Shifting Technique: Is this Normal?

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Shifting Technique: Is this Normal?
From: "Scott Allen" <sallen6363@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 13:02:27 -0500
Hi Everyone,

Some may remember my "does it ever end" tale of tranny woes from a few weeks
ago...

Anyway, I had occasion to take my TD out and about yesterday for  six miles
round trip and I noticed that if I hesitate a very brief moment before
shifting into 2nd it'd drop right in, but if I don't, i.e., I direct shift
into 2nd it'll pop back out.

My father who owned a TD for longer than I've been on this planet says the
2nd gear synchro is primitive by today's standards and what I've found out
is "normal" and is what I should have been doing all along.  I'm sure
grand-dad if he was still alive would say the same about his TC, but I can't
help wonder...  In my previous life I had a few Alfa's which have a
notoriously bad 2nd gear synchro and direct shifting into 2nd was never a
problem.  Sure, it'd crunch a bit, but it'd never pop out.

So I'm wondering what the folks on the list think based on their
experience?  Is it "normal" to hesitate a moment before dropping it into
2nd like I'm told or is it still indicative of a problem and I proceed with
my plans to pull the transmission next week?

Thanks in advance,

Scott Allen
52 TD
74 1/2 BGT