[Mg-t] TD Tonneau Cover

To: <Mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mg-t] TD Tonneau Cover
From: "John A. Gunnell" <gunnellj@athenet.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:11:53 -0500
Listers

   There has been so much on this, I could not help jumping in. My unrestored
but lovable Little Red Car has a very old, probably aftermarket, full tonneau
on it. This is a wonderful thing and I wish that my TF had one.

   Mine, being old, tends to be very tight fitting at the start of the year,
then stretches with heat and sun. But the zipper area on one side has torn due
to the tightness and I realize the cover won't last forever.

   There is in our village a shop called Vintage Woodworks that does auto
wood, tops, upholstery, carpets, wod veneering, etc. It is run by a charming
hobby couple named Dennis and Kathy Bickford and though the "specialty of the
house" is the Chrysler Town & Country, these folks do it all.

   I have shown him my tonneau and askked what it would cost to have one made.
Dennis cuts his own convertible tops, so I'm sure he can do a tonneau cover,
although perfection might take a few tries. He shot me a price for making a
cover that was much lower than regular suppliers. To be honest, I think when
he gets into the job, he'll probably find he can't do it that low.

   But since demand seems high and supplies seem low of the ready-mades, I can
ask Dennis again. He tends to have a long waiting list for his skills, but if
he can do multiple covers that are basically all the same, as a side job, he
might get fired up to make a batch, at least in one color.

   Another possibility id ragtops & roadsters in Perkasie, Pa., where I
stopped to do an article not long ago. They have an independent trim shop
inside their facility that does British car tops and trimmings. I'm sure they
ay have the skill, too.

John Gunnell
PO Box 87
Iola, WI 54945