RE: '67 BGT w/ Chevy SB V8 & Corvair Transaxle

To: "Kevin & Deana Brown" <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>, "mgb-v8" <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: '67 BGT w/ Chevy SB V8 & Corvair Transaxle
From: "Joe Mathews" <jam@esiofva.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:44:54 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Just read TS White's response and realized I misread corvair for
corvette.

However check out this web site.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/featuredvehicles/54739/

I owned a 65 corvair as my first car.  I thought it was a great little
car despite Nader.  It was completely restored when I purchased it in
1970 for 500 dollars. I wish I still had that automobile but I had to
sell it when we got stationed to Germany in 1972. The guy I purchased it
from was a corvair nut and had a Corvair Monza Spyder with a turbo
charger on it and that particular automobile would do 130 mph all day
long.  This was in the early 70's and the monza he drove had an air
cooled six cylinder engine. He was a munitions maintenance guy in the
Air Force and stationed at Davis Monthan AFB in Tucson where I also
lived.  He would use his turbo charged Corvair to travel home (somewhere
back east) and would open it up on the transcontinental ride across the
desert southwest. He also raced a corvair that he had converted to a
chevy small block. He drag raced this machine on the Davis Monthan AFB
Flight Line on occasion when they would have the races.  I don't know
what kind of transaxle he used though however the link I gave you
describes a setup that uses the corvair transaxle with a mid engine
Chevy 383.

Sincerely,

Joseph Mathews
72 "B"