Re: '67 BGT w/ Chevy SB V8 & Corvair Transaxle

To: mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: '67 BGT w/ Chevy SB V8 & Corvair Transaxle
From: buickgsboy@mindspring.com
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 11:46:30 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
>>  Also, not designed to take the torque of a
>> v8.

>Nah... It's plenty strong. The Corvair is basically a Saginaw 4-speed, same as
>what was
>in my V8 Camero.

>Back in the day, there were a lot of V8 Corvairs running around...  You'd flip
>the
>transaxle upside-down to make the input shaft face forward instead of back,
>and put the
>small-block Chevy V8 in the back seat. Suddenly you have a high-horsepower mid-
>engine configuration with almost perfect weight distribution.

Not exactly, the 66 and up transaxles were Saginaw boxes.  The 60 to 65 boxes
were unique to the 'Vair.  The 64 differential has a pad attached for the
"camber compensator"  The 65 and up differentials are for the corvette derived
irs while the 60-64 differentials are for the swingarm style suspension.  There
is not much interchangeable between the two directly.  Interestingly because of
the trucks built using the early suspension the early setup has much more
agressive ratios available for the axle.  There were three different setups
available at one point for putting a v8 in the back of a 'vair.  Crown
conversions kept the axle where it was initially.  Kellmark flipped the axle
upside down.  And the other whose name escapes me right now utilized the
Toronado transaxle.  The biggest problem with high output 'vairs is the factory
only gave them a small two spider differential.  I have broken this before in a
stock 'vair and modern tires.  You can upgrade to a four spider differential.
This will handle the power.

Kevin Poe
80 MGB Buick 350
72 Buick GS 350