Re: '67 BGT w/ Chevy SB V8 & Corvair Transaxle

To: mgb-v8 <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: '67 BGT w/ Chevy SB V8 & Corvair Transaxle
From: Kevin & Deana Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:39:22 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
From what little I could see under the car while it was on the trailer

- the transaxle isn't flipped since the engine mount is still at the rear. Sometime I will get it up on a lift and take pictures. Oviously the the axles etc. have been shortened since the wheels fit easily inside the rear wheel wells.

Kevin

buickgsboy@mindspring.com wrote:

Also, not designed to take the torque of a
v8.

Nah... It's plenty strong. The Corvair is basically a Saginaw 4-speed, same as what was in my V8 Camero.

Back in the day, there were a lot of V8 Corvairs running around... You'd flip the transaxle upside-down to make the input shaft face forward instead of back, and put the small-block Chevy V8 in the back seat. Suddenly you have a high-horsepower mid-
engine configuration with almost perfect weight distribution.

Not exactly, the 66 and up transaxles were Saginaw boxes.  The 60 to 65 boxes were unique to the 'Vair.  The 64 differential has a pad attached for the "camber compensator"  The 65 and up differentials are for the corvette derived irs while the 60-64 differentials are for the swingarm stylesuspension.  There is not much interchangeable between the two directly. Interestingly because of the trucks built using the early suspension the early setup has much more agressive ratios available for the axle.  There were three different setups available at one point for putting a v8 inthe back of a 'vair.  Crown conversions kept the axle where it was initially.  Kellmark flipped the axle upside down.  And the other whose name escapes me right now utilized the Toronado transaxle.  The biggest problemwith high output 'vairs is the factory only gave them a small two spiderdifferential.  I have broken this before in a stock 'vair and modern tires.  You can upgrade to a four spider dif!
ferential.  This will handle the power.

Kevin Poe
80 MGB Buick 350
72 Buick GS 350