RE: '67 BGT w/ Chevy SB V8 & Corvair Transaxle

To: "mgb-v8" <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: '67 BGT w/ Chevy SB V8 & Corvair Transaxle
From: "Joe Mathews" <jam@esiofva.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:05:02 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Just realized I misread corvair for corvette.

However check out this web site.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/featuredvehicles/54739/

I owned a 65 corvair as my first car.  I thought it was a great little
car despite Nader.  It was completely restored when I purchased it in
1970 for 500 dollars. I wish I still had that automobile but I had to
sell it when we got PCS orders to Germany in 1972. The guy I purchased
it from was a corvair nut and had a Corvair Monza Spyder with a turbo
charger and that particular automobile would do 130 mph all day long.
This was in the early 70's and the monza he drove had an air cooled six
cylinder engine. He was a munitions maintenance guy in the Air Force and
stationed at Davis Monthan AFB in Tucson where I also lived.  He would
use his turbo charged Corvair to travel home (somewhere back east) and
would open it up on the transcontinental ride across the desert
southwest. A trip he made quite often. He also raced a corvair that he
had converted to a chevy small block which I believe was a 327. He drag
raced this machine on the Davis Monthan AFB Flight Line on occasion when
they would have the races.  I don't know what kind of transaxle he used
though however the link I gave you describes a setup that uses the
corvair transaxle with a mid engine Chevy 383.

Sincerely,

Joseph Mathews
72 "B"