More info on "new" '67 BGT V8 - steering, exhaust, engine

To: mgb-v8 <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: More info on "new" '67 BGT V8 - steering, exhaust, engine
From: Kevin & Deana Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:38:02 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Here are a few more details on the '67 BGT V8 that I brought home last weekend:

Steering - The car has the original steering column connected to the original steering rack with no u-joints or other modifications that I can see. You may ask how this is possible - especially on a '67 B, see the exhaust section below:

Exhaust - the car has inverted headers. As you can see from the pictures I put on the web site (here is the link again: http://home.sprintmail.com/~mgtrautoxr/id5.html <http://home.sprintmail.com/%7Emgtrautoxr/id5.html> ) the headers go up then a pipe from each goes back and down through small (about 4 inch) holes in to the inner fenders. This keeps the headers completely away from the the steering column and the frame (in fact the original MG motor mounts are still on the frame even though they aren't use - there was no reason to remove them to clear the headers.). The exhaust pipes then come down to dual mufflers (flat automotive style as opposed to glass packs) located under the foot wells (I notice that there is insulation under the floor mats). The pipes then go straight back and then come together in to a single pipe, fairly large diameter, right in front of the gas tank. That pipe then exits at the normal location. This adds to the stealthy nature of the car - if you don't recognize the larger diameter pipe and 15 inch steel Chevy wheels you don't know that this car has been modified at all - there is no evidence that there is a Corvette V8 under the hood and a Corvair transaxle in back!

Engine - The engine is mounted using a stock Chevrolet front mount (the same mount that was used on Chevrolet 6-cylinder engines from the late 30s, 40,s and 50's (maybe earlier too - I don't have a car earlier than a '39) and the earliest Chevy V8s, up to 57 I think) bolted directly, using rubber mounts, to the MGs frame - just a big bolt running down through the rubber bushings the cast iron mount and the frame on each side. It allows the engine to sit nice and low. I haven't put the car up on the rack yet to see the rear mount. I ran the casting numbers and the engine is actually a 1958 283 V8 (not a 265 like I first thought) with 1962 283 heads. Supposedly it has been stroked to 302 using a stroker crank. That's all for now I will post more as I find it out - it looks like the guy who did the work did a real good job of it.

Kevin

///
/// mgb-v8@autox.team.net mailing list
/// Send admin requests to majordomo@autox.team.net
/// Send list postings to mgb-v8@autox.team.net
/// Edit your replies! If they include this trailer, they will NOT be sent.