suspension animation

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: suspension animation
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 15:03:19 +0500
Fellow fiends:

I have a handful of remarkably elementary questions concerning the
suspension and road manners of Old Whitesides (the venerable '63B).
I have noticed the following:
---the car has considerable roll under even moderate speed turns
(e.g. exit and entrance ramps).  Friends (passengers) who know B's remark
that it is extreme for the car and I tend to agree.
---the car lists to port (driver's side), but not severely.  You need to
look at the car from about 30 feet to see it.
---during restoration I had the front shocks rebuilt, but did
nothing to the rears (other than topping up fluid), nor to springs at any
corner.  Preliminary fender bounce tests didn't indicate bad shocks at the
rears.  Fronts were obviously gone.  Someone I've talked to says the rears
tend to last longer (maybe, but 32 years?).
---also, I didn't "bother" with the rear U-joints, or bushings.  However,
under rapid acceleration (is there such a thing?) or under rapid
deceleration I seem to notice some lightness in the car, that I correct in
the steering.  Its hard for me to describe this but the effect is a sense
that I'm wandering in my lane.  It is very stable at cruising speeds.

My questions are:
---The early B's didn't have a front sway bar.  I did not put one on,
either.  Should I?  How complicated is that process?  What size?
---Should I go ahead and have the rear shocks rebuilt?
---Should I go ahead and have the rear springs replaced?  (I focus on the
rear springs only because it is my hard to defend suspicion that the list to
port is due to a tired driver's side rear spring).
---I assume if I'm going this far that new rear bushings and U-joints would
be easy to take care of?
---Is there such a thing as a rear sway bar?  If so, should I install one?

I can imagine that the roll might be attributable to any of these bits, and
that to cleverly pick the culprit is darn near impossible?

You have by now realized that I haven't spent a whole heck of a lot of time
contemplating the suspension of MGs.  More than some of the above may be
completely wrong.  I'd appreciate any and all net wisdom/indulgence/teaching
on these topics.  This car is definately a keeper, so it doesn't bother me
to put a bit more $$ into it (heck, compared to what I've already done, this
will be a drop in the bucket).  I'd rather get it "right and proper" than
just put a bandaid on something.  The roll sort of takes away from the
tossability of the car - a prime reason for driving it in the first place!
Also, what order of repairs should I undertake?

Many thanks, in advance, for advice/comments/etc.
Will Zehring