Re: '69 MGB engine rebuild

To: Jeff Drexler <jdrex@microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: '69 MGB engine rebuild
From: fickes@taurus.apple.com (Stan Fickes)
Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 12:29:34 -0700
(Jeff Drexler asked for suggestions on a B rebuild, and offered his plans)

>1)  Replace sidedraft Weber with downdraft Weber

I was VERY unhappy with my downdraft Weber, and eventually found a set of
SUs instead.  It was an incredible improvement.  Anyone else have downdraft
Weber stories, good or bad?

>2)  Replace header with standard exhaust manifold and downpipe

I understand many headers have lower performance than the original pipes!

>3)  Go with no-lead head
>4)  Get alternator and starter taken apart and rebuilt as needed
>5)  Radiator was inspected and does not need rodding out
>6)  Go with all new hoses and belts
>7)  Maybe spend $200 to have 4-speed trans opened for inspection (I
>have had no problems to date)

Might be a good time to replace the synchro rings, and check the
laygear/shaft carefully.

>8)  New clutch, throwout bearing, etc.
>9)  Clutch slave cylinder rebuilt (that is how this all started and how
>I found out about the throwout bearing)

How about clean the engine compartment, replace the U-joints, and while the
car's out of service, check through the braking system?  Happy wrenching!
sf

Stan Fickes             If you want safe speed--buy safe speed--MG.
Wireless comm., ATG     Safety Fast!
Apple Computer, Inc.    1951 MGTD, under restoration
(408) 974-7653          1965 Sprite, daily commuter