Re: 1977 mgb

To: TSCARL@aol.com, MGS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Re: 1977 mgb
From: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 10:54:09 -0400
TSCAR!  Your 1977 MGB will not accelerate above 60mph for several reasons...

Far be it from me to improve on John Twist, but 11 years ago I was on my
way from Blacksburg Virginia to Bloomington Indiana when my '78 B started
gradually losing power.  It was running very smoothly - just losing power.
It too would not accelerate over 60 mph, then 45 mph... by Frankfurt
Kentucky it wouldn't go over 10 mph in first gear.  Two shops in Frankfurt
couldn't diagnose.  There was no hint in Haynes, Chilton's or Autobook (all
of which I had with me).  Attempted shot at Louisville aborted halfway. MGB
makes last 28 miles to a (then) Jaguar-Rover-Triumph dealer behind wrecker.
They can't diagnose without removing head.  I refuse permission, store the
car for two weeks, come back with a tow dolly and bring the car home.
Local MG mechanic-friend, Gabor Agoston, diagnosed it from my description
over the phone.  $4.90 later, MGB was back on the road, healthy and happy.

' Wanna take a guess at it, anybody?  I'll confirm the correct answer in a
couple of days.

Allen Bachelder