Re: 1977 mgb

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1977 mgb
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 13:50:18 +0500
Fellow fiends:

Now that people are starting to go out on a limb with this new puzzle (dang,
I love these), I guess it would be sporting of me to join in.  I'm going to
be a bit vague and suggest that it has *something* to do with the throttle
linkage.  Either the throttle cable was frayed and stretching or the linkage
of cable to accelerator pedal or to throttle shaft was weakening and failing
(you know, that little screw-dingie).  This is a '77 so I assume it had one
Zenith carb.  That rules out the idea of a slipping throttle linkage between
carbs.

My clues are:
-the repair was less than $5.00  (show me one of those!)
-the dealer mechanics couldn't figure it out: i.e. blipping the throttle
directly at the carbs probably showed no loss of revs so they suspected an
internal engine problem

I'm assuming that the engine ran smoothly, albeit slowly.  A fuel starvation
problem would tend to lead to a sputter (I'd guess).  A coil problem would
too, and would be more expensive than 5$.

Oh well...

Will "guess again, pal" Zehring

P.S.  Why is it in all these sorts of stories the dealer mechanics can't
tell up from down but the guy in the ma and pa foreign car place can
diagnose the d**n thing over the phone?  (appologies to any dealer mechanics
on the list).