Re: leaf spring sag

To: cedwards@pinn.net
Subject: Re: leaf spring sag
From: "G. Clark Smith" <gcs@acpub.duke.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 16:02:54 -0400 (EDT)
'snip (previous postings)

Another tidbit of knowledge on leaf springs for a MGB-GT.

I have recently been informed that a company in California is making
fiberglass leaf springs for the MGB-GTs.  I rode in a GT with these
springs for about ten hours and have to say they are really nice.  When
you hit some road bumps (esp. construction) the whole car doesn't slam up
as usual.  A nice gentle bounce is the most I felt.  Having driven this GT
around town I also feel that the springs provide much nicer handling
characteristics. With an anti-sway bar installed these springs didn't roll
through a turn like weak springs or bounce like stiff springs.  These gave
me a good smooth feel.  Another point of these springs is they are very
light.  For some people (like me) who carry around a lot of tools and
parts in the boot this may help even the car back out.

I believe the price on a set of these springs was above three hundred
dollars (ouch).  I have a 72 GT which I plan on restoring soon.  As you
can tell, I am pretty sure I am going to use the fiberglass leaf springs.

If you are intersted in a set call Towery Foreign Cars, Glenn Towery at
(302) 734-1243.  Glenn is the person who told me about these springs and
it was his GT that I was riding/driving.

Safety Fast,

GC Smith

Disclaimer:  I am friends with the people at Towery Foreign Cars, but,
will not profit from any sales or referrals

|| G. Clark Smith                              + gcs@acpub.duke.edu     ||
|| Graduate Student                            + Office: (919) 660-8963 ||
|| Mechanical Engineering and Material Science + Hudson Hall, room 190  ||
|| Duke University                             + Lab:    (919) 660-5434 ||
|| Durham, North Carolina 27708-0302           + Fax:    (919) 660-8963 ||