re: SU FUEL PUMPS

To: <mgs%autox.team.net@MVDNS1.MV-oc.Unisys.COM>
Subject: re: SU FUEL PUMPS
From: TUSLER%MP050@MPA15AB.mv-oc.Unisys.COM
Date: 12 JUN 95 09:11
  Having rebuilt several SU's as well as several Japanese SU look-alikes,
I have some experience screwing it up.  It is of paramount importance to
adjust the number of turns that the diaphragm/shaft is unscrewed to specs!
If not unscrewed enough, the points won't close.  If unscrewed too far,
the pump will pump constantly, even when up to pressure.  The other thing
that can go wrong is that the shaft HAS to be perfectly perpendicular
to the diaphragm.  I once swapped a diaphragm from another pump and
mounted it on the shaft, but I bent it ever so slightly. After taking
it apart three times (It would appear to function before it was all
tightened down), I finally figured it out...  Also, if your pump doesn't
have a diode across the points to avoid arcing, install one.  It will
vastly improve the life of your pump, and avoid the quaint ritual of
crawling under the right rear wheel well to tap on the SU.  Have fun!

*Philippe Tusler - El Toro, CA           | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*A-Mail:   <TUSLER@MP050>                | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: TUSLER@MP050.MV-OC.unisys.com | "N/A"      '88 ISUZU Trooper*