Re: Fuel Injection for the MGB

To: gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu
Subject: Re: Fuel Injection for the MGB
From: wlbrown@netcom.com (William L. Brown Jr.)
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 08:26:00 -0700 (PDT)
> An MG is old enough that everything would have to be done in assembly
> language, using a PDP-11 cpu and the RT-11 operating system.  I think I
> have a spare PDP-11/23 cpu somewhere if you need one.  You never can tell
> when something like that will come in handy.
>
> Ray "Once an expert in FOCAL" Gibbons

I fear I must differ here; certainly most chrome-bumper MGBs would have
nothing later than a PDP-5.  Late chrome-bumper "B's could use a PDP-8
(add suffix to taste!).  This would, of course, require towing a trailer
to carry the computer and an auxilliary power source to run the computer.
And where would one put the type 35-ASR tty?

"Operating systems?  We don' need no stinkin'Operating Systems!"  Altho
I seem to recall that there was a disk operating system for the '8, I
don't recall if there was one for the 5 - maybe there was.  The '5 I
hacked on had a home-brewed OS that ran off of a dual Dectape unit.

But at least the front panel had enought lights on it that you could
tell where it died, as opposed to the current blobs of black plastic
that simply get sulky, leaving one without a clue as to the offending
instruction sequence.

Hmmm - did Lucas build computers in this era? Perhaps a "Digital Darkness
Processor" series? DDP-1, DDP-2, ... DDP-n?  {Hmmmm I thing 3C in Framingham
used the DDP #'s - later bought out by Honeywell)

-bill
7T6 MGB