Re: 66 Midget Front Suspension

To: ALAN_COSTICH@HPATC1.desk.hp.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 66 Midget Front Suspension
From: Yorkus@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 00:15:32 -0400
Hi Alan

> York Powell took his to a machine shop and they used a hack saw.>

It was actually the local LBC shop and they said they have done a lot of
them.

> I would like to see the hack saw. I believe the lower pins are
> hardened. I tried a hacksaw and it wouldn't even scratch the
> surface.

I didn't say it was easy and I'm glad that I paid someone to do it for me.
But.....( big butt) I was standing there watching as they used the hacksaw
(standard hacksaw by ARMSTRONG no motor) to cut it on ether side of the old
king pin. The mechanic must have seen the look on my face so he stopped and
told me that it was the best way they had found to remove them. What remained
(the two ends of the fulcrum pin) was easily removed by unscrewing them.
When they were done cutting the old parts out we did a "dry fit" of the new
king pin and fulcrum pin to the old A-arm and even though it had some wobble
in it they said "that's OK it will be all right when you get it put back
together". WRONG.... Due to extreme lack of funds at the time I took their
advice and have since decided even the local LBC mechanic opinions should be
questioned. As a result of this action I now need to replace the shock
because it was trying to hold the wheel from moving forward and aft due to
the fore mentioned wobble.

> But, the question for both York and Jack: how are you going to
> replace the threaded bushes that the fulcrum pin screws into?
> Or are you going to go the easy route and purchase renewed
> control arms? Do either of you have a tap for the threads in
> the control arms?> And I can't see handing over $46 for the tubes.>

As a result I need to replace the A-arm and the shock, as in "still needs to
be done".
I have seen rebuild kits offered by a company call SEVEN ENTERPRISES LTD.
They were about $50 for both sides. The only problem (Murphy law, again....)
is that if your current arms have been rebuilt by welding in the bushings, or
in my case someone tried welding cracks in both arms, which were by the
bushings, you can't get the old ones out in a way that salvages them. The way
they are originally attached is by "sweating in the bushing and soldering it
in place". (anyway that's what they told me ???). So to make a long story
short (or is it long) I'm in the same boat as you are.

> And I can't see handing over $46 for the tubes.>

Where can you find $46 Arms, the lowest I've seen is about $75 each for
rebuilt?
Please E-mail me, I'd like to get it back on the road.

York Powell
1972 Midget