104mph = ???RPM

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 104mph = ???RPM
From: woodcomp@vt.edu (chris lenth)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 09:06:42 +0600
I recently had my speedometer calibrated in the interest of weasling my way
out of a potentially expensive ticket.  To back up, I put a late model LH OD
unit in my '73 B in May and haven't yet changed the speedo from the
original, giving me an error of approximately 20%.  Anyway, back to the
story.  I took the car to the shop with the calibration apparatus and
explained to the operator how the transmission and OD worked.  "Yep, uh huh,
I can work one of them, no problem".  He procedes to take my baby to the end
bay to do the calibration.  As I wait in the lobby, I can here him
accelerate, hold, accelerate, hold, shift, accelerate, hold, etc. Towards
the end, it seems as he is running the car extremely hard, but I figure it
is just my overprotective nature combined with loud exhaust in a small
enclosure.  Several minutes later the technician returns with a notarized
piece of paper that has a row of speeds 5 15 25 35 etc up to 85 with the
actual (measured) speeds written in above it.  The actual speed recorded
corresponding to a speedometer reading of 85 was 104 mph!  Then I realize
that I did not here the tech engage the OD, and procede to ask him if he
did.  "Overdrive?  hmmm, nope"  OUCH!!!  Sure am glad I had more than passed
suitable break-in (5000+) mileage on my new motor.  I'm scared to ask you
but have to know, can anyone tell me how many rev's my engine must have been
doing to hit 104 mph in fourth gear (no OD)?  I did get out of a $100
ticket, but that is definitely not worth engine damage, shoud any have occurred.

thanks

    Chris Lenth                                      _____\___
    Blacksburg, VA                               '--O-------O--'
    woodcomp@vt.edu                           1973 MGB