Re: MG Metro Turbo?

To: MGS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Re: MG Metro Turbo?
From: brooked@bre.co.uk
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 16:56:21 EDT
The  MG Metro Turbo uses the "A-Plus" engine in 1275 cc form. This was the then
latest version of the A series engine, with a slightly thicker bottom (gearbox)
flange and heavier duty bearings for the turbo.

The HIF44 carb is a blow through version with the float chamber pressurised by
the boost pressure. An anti-runon valve vents the float chamber to atmosphere
when the ignition is off - it it fails fuel cannot get out of the jet , hence
the car stops.

If you want more technical info (CR, boost, etc.) let me know and I will post
it on the list.

The Leyland engineers that designed the installation were concerned about the
life expectance of the gearboxes and setup the turbo/wastegate arrangement to
give a maximum torque (about 90 lb/ft at 3000 rpm) rather than maximum power.
As the revs rise above the max. torque speed the boost pressure controlling the
wastegate is bleed off, allowing the wastegate to close a little and generate
more power upto a peek some where around 7000 rpm where the ignition rev
limiter operates.

The Turbo system fits very easily into the engine bay of a 1275 Midget/Sprite!

Dave B.
72 BGT V8
76 Midget