Re: Su vs. Weber

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Su vs. Weber
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 13 Sep 1995 09:02:54 -0500
In <00996542.4AFD6DE0.25@brush.bre.co.uk>, brooked@bre.co.uk wrote:

>Well Graham, its obvious from you last mail that you want to fit a Weber - but
>I don't like you logic about the sealing...
>
>Now correct me if I'm wrong but the Weber must have as many potential like
>sites as an SU, such as :-
>       1) throttle spindle.
>       2) choke spindle.
>       3) float bowl breather.
>       4) float bowl cover.
>
>OK, so prehaps I'm being pedantic but I heard of more problems with people
>installing a Weber than an SU. Sure they might work as well as an SU once their
>properly installed but you have got to get the right manifold or the carb hits
>the inner wing, do you want to fit an air filter or can you afford regular
>engine rebuilds, how much does a proper throttle linkage cost?
>
>I shall now get off my soapbox and wait to see what the replies are.

And replies there will be, as this is one of same.

First we ought to make clear which Weber.  My contribution (which
somehow implies value, for which I apologize) is regarding the DGV
manual choke downdraft.  It installed in a matter of half an hour
(took longer to get the SU's off than the Weber on), and came with all
linkage and air filter fittings and the manifold for 330
I-God-We-Trust dollars.  (That was a while back, it's $345 now....)

The carb body is a single casting, with a  lid.  There is no way that
it can leak around the gland nut (H4) or hose (HS4)--ain't got none.
The only way it can leak around the float bowl lid is if the needle
doesn't work.  That is to be expected from SU's (why do we buy Grose
jets?) but I have never heard of this with a Weber.  And the float is
_hinged_, not free, so it does not jam if the bowl dries out.  True,
the HIF4 solved most of these problems, but is has other charming
attributes.

I do use SU's on some of my cars (TD, MGA) but the one I drive the
most uses a Weber that I haven't touched in a long time.

                        A. B. Bonds