Su vs. Weber

To: mgs@autox.team.net (mg)
Subject: Su vs. Weber
From: Graham Knight <graham@disr.den.mmc.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 95 10:32:29 MDT
Hi folks,
        Well, it seems that the delegation is split on the
SU vs. Weber debate. I got mail from folks who swear by
the Webers, and others who say they are junk. Same
story on the SU's.

        Frankly, i'm not quite sure what to do. The SU's seem
to be rebuildable, but i'm not sure if i want to put a whole
lot of effort into rebuilding these carbs. Although they seem
to work, the design, albiet an interesting one, doesn't impress much.
It's neat how they work - but past experience tells me that
neat != reliable. Also, there are just too many darn places that
need sealing, i look at this setup and it conjurs up images
of a screen mesh. Who knows how many places this is leaking from,
and how many different places it *will* leak from when hot/cold/
or someplace in the middle. The thought of replacing the entire
(dare i say mess?) mechanism with a manifold with a seal and a
carb with a seal is a nice one....

        So i guess i'm leaning towards the Weber. Anyone know where i can
get one cheap? I've been quoted $475 which seems a bit high.
BTW, a new SU is $245 at my local parts shop. New SU's have
also taken some heat from folks on the list. Are there any
sources for a less expensive new SU?

        Graham[hoping for no flames from the SU faithful]

PS - Once again, THANKS! to everyone who replied!  :)

--
Graham Knight           graham@disr.den.mmc.com                   303-977-7085