Re: a cool warm place

To: "Jerry Causey" <antiques@whidbey.com>
Subject: Re: a cool warm place
From: russ@scubed.com (Russ Wilson)
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 07:37:25 -0800
Jerry Caused asked:

>With the 180F thermostat, what temperature does your 'B operate at
>when it is fully warmed up? I'm up to the 190F version in my '67 B,
>and my (mechanical) temperature gauge settles down to about 175F at 55 MPH
>in the

My '63 runs at 175-180 degrees with a 180 thermo.
>wintertime (30 - 40F ambient temp most of the time). My gauge was rebuilt
>a couple of

>Is it possible that my oil-cooler is sucking too much heat out of the
>engine in the winter?

Hardly.  The function of an oil cooler is cooling oil, to keep its
viscosity up, not to cool the engine.  The oil doesn't even go to
significant heat-producing areas of the engine.  And since your engine
warms right up to the point where the thermostat opens, it's apparent that
the engine produces enough heat to need the additional cooling of the
radiator, even in the winter.

The problem, if you want to call it that, has to be the 190 thermostat.
It's apparently really a 175 degree unit that sticks initially, letting the
temperature rise to where it should be, then opening a bit, as it should to
keep the temperature *up* to the operating point, but doing so at the lower
temperature.  This is very common in my experience.  Thermostats are not
precision devices.  I once waisted a lot of time heating various
thermostats from various cars in pans of water and recording temperatures
with a good thermometer.  The scatter in the data was startling.  I'd say,
drive it.  You're in the good range - dont'sweat the details.

>Do people in ***REALLY*** cold places drive their LBCs in winter?

Yes. A really cold winter in San Diego is when the temperature gets below
40 degrees, and I *still* drive mine     ;)

Russ Wilson