Re: a cool warm place

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: a cool warm place
From: "Jerry Causey" <antiques@whidbey.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 20:15:05 -0800
On Tue, 19 Sep Will Zehring said:

> Our trusty (sic) weather-caster has predicted the season's first frost for
> later this week...

> Will "even put the 180F thermostat back in" Zehring

With the 180F thermostat, what temperature does your 'B operate at
when it is fully warmed up? I'm up to the 190F version in my '67 B,
and my (mechanical) temperature gauge settles down to about 175F at 55 MPH in
the
wintertime (30 - 40F ambient temp most of the time). My gauge was rebuilt a
couple of
years ago, and the radiator shop checked its accuracy when they
rebuilt my radiator. I've tried two different 190F  thermostats, and
both were the same. With my previous 180F thermostat in place my
coolant ran about 165F. I'm pretty sure the thermostat is working OK,
because when the engine starts warming up the temperature actually
registers 190F, then drops immediately to 160-ish as the thermostat
opens and cold coolant rushes into the engine. This happens a
couple of times, then it stabilizes at the mid-170s.

Is it possible that my oil-cooler is sucking too much heat out of the
engine in the winter? I noticed at one point, when my commute was
only 5 miles or so, that I was getting a lot of mucky white stuff in
the rocker cover, from condensation and too-cool oil, I suspect. I
covered over about 75% of the oil cooler with aluminum foil (what do
Brits call this stuff, BTW) and the white stuff didn't come back
after I changed the oil.

Do people in ***REALLY*** cold places drive their LBCs in winter? I
have 4 studded snow tires for my 'B, so it's a daily driver year
'round.

Regards,
Jerry Causey