Re: SU Damper Fluid

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SU Damper Fluid
From: Wily1@aol.com
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 11:32:18 -0400
John Hassey writes >

>   From the discussion so far, sounds like people are successfully
>   using many different fluids.  (anyone using water ?:)

Water seems like it would have the advantage of having nearly the same
viscosity over a wide range of temperatures -- unless it froze or boiled!
Just normal evaporation could be something of a problem, also. Seems like I
can remember hearing that "real" racers gut the dampers and use spring force
alone to attain the throttle response they desire, leaving the damping to the
friction of piston in bore.

>   ...It would be interesting to build a list of
>   what people are using, the viscosity, temp range, and type of
>   driving.

The missing variable would be how tightly the piston fits in its bore in the
dome -- those of you familiar with Vizard's A-Series book have probably read
the section on the "drop test" -- plug the holes in the piston, remove the
damper, and time how long it takes for the piston to fall free from the dome.
It can vary substantially, even between carbs installed on the same engine. I
know, we can all do drop tests and add those results to the survey! Well, ok,
maybe not!

Ernest Davis <wily1@aol.com> 10/24/95, 11:21