Idle speed

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Idle speed
From: KeithB227@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 08:03:42 -0500
I own a '57 MGA with a '62 1800 B engine.  The engine runs great, but I can't
get it to idle below about 1000 RPM.  The idle is very rough with lots of
missing.  Point and plug gaps are good, dwell is right on, and the timing is
good as close as I can tell with the rough idle.  I overhauled the SU's and
replaced the worn throttle spindles.  But, there is still extra
play/looseness in the throttle spindles (I assume this is due to worn bushes
in the body)

First question:  If everything else is set reasonably close to correct, is
the vacuum leak caused by worn throttle spindle bushes enough to cause the
idle problem or is there something else I'm overlooking?

Second question:  There is a big difference in idle speed with the clutch
engaged or disengaged.  The engine idles faster with the clutch engaged
(tranny turning in neutral) and much slower with the clutch disengaged (pedal
down).  This seems backwards to me since the engine has to turn the tranny
with the clutch engaged in neutral.  Why does this happen?  or  Why am I
confused?

Thanks for any advice.

Keith Baer