Re: Idle speed

To: KeithB227@aol.com
Subject: Re: Idle speed
From: dcouncil@imt.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 09:22:53 -0700
>First question:  If everything else is set reasonably close to correct, is
>the vacuum leak caused by worn throttle spindle bushes enough to cause the
>idle problem or is there something else I'm overlooking?

Could very well be.

>Second question:  There is a big difference in idle speed with the clutch
>engaged or disengaged.  The engine idles faster with the clutch engaged
>(tranny turning in neutral) and much slower with the clutch disengaged (pedal
>down).  This seems backwards to me since the engine has to turn the tranny
>with the clutch engaged in neutral.  Why does this happen?  or  Why am I
>confused?

My BGT does this after the temperature drops to ten below zero or so. I
would check your transmission oil - I suspect someone put in a 90 wt. or
greater when it should be using 10-40 or 20-50. Of course, the rate of oil
leakage could increase with a thinner oil, but then it wouldn't be an MG
without some spotting.

David Councill