Re: Idle speed

To: KeithB227@aol.com
Subject: Re: Idle speed
From: craigw@sonic.net (craig wiper)
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 18:48:51 -0800
>Second question:  There is a big difference in idle speed with the clutch
>engaged or disengaged.  The engine idles faster with the clutch engaged
>(tranny turning in neutral) and much slower with the clutch disengaged (pedal
>down).  This seems backwards to me since the engine has to turn the tranny
>with the clutch engaged in neutral.  Why does this happen?  or  Why am I
>confused?
>
>Thanks for any advice.
>
>Keith Baer

When the clutch pedal is depressed, the throw-out bearing is pressing on the
pressure plate of the clutch, holding it off of the clutch, which results in
resistance to the engine, similar (sort of) to a break-pad being applied to
a rotor . Hence, the engine slows a bit. When the engine and transmission
are connected but in neutral, everything is free to spin with less
resistance. Does this make sense?

Craig Wiper
early '74 MGB