Re: SU lean/rich confussion

To: KeithB227@aol.com
Subject: Re: SU lean/rich confussion
From: James R Ferguson <jferg@twave.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 95 03:31:15 -0500 (EST)
At 12:00 PM 12/21/95 -0500, you wrote:
>My recently aquired '57 MGA is powered by an early (18G, 3 main bearing) B
>engine.  I've been trying, so far unsuccessfuly, to get a decent idle at
>somewhere under 1000RPM (workshop manual says 500).  There is a very
>irregular misfire at any idle speed, but it is worse as I reduce the idle.
> It shakes violently and threatens to die at anything less than about 900RPM
>and 500RPM is out of the question.

The thing to remember in dealing with an MG and the SU carb is that there is
absolutely NO way to properly adjust the mixture.  Any and all instruments I
have tried to check the mixture all conflicted.   It comes with the MG-SU
terroitory.   It's ALWAYS TOO RICH OR TOO LEAN!

>Keith (all I want for xmas is a decent idle) Baer

Just do the best you can and live with it (and tell the rest of us about it).

Good Luck,

Jim                '58, '59, '60  MGA's
J R Ferguson