Re: Changing oil (gearbox?)

To: David Hall <dhall@hp-vcd.vcd.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Changing oil (gearbox?)
From: lawref@lawref.com (Ernest E. Gilbert)
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 08:25:37 -0800 (PST)
>Just changed the oil in my 72 MGB/GT.  Put in Casteroil 5/50W synthetic.
>I've been running it in the engine now for quite a while.  My engine
>has 120K, and when I started using the synthetic oil, it seemed that my
>engine started running better.  Could be my imagination.  So, the shifting
>now seems to be a bit smoother.  Could also be my imagination.

I tried the same oil in an early OD gearbox. Felt better than the 90 hypoid
at first but after the first 45 minute drive shifting felt like no lub at
all. Replaced it after 250 miles and there was metal in the drain plug that
wasn't there before. I now have AMSOIL 80W-90 synthetic and have a better
feel that dosen't go away when it's hot. OD works ok. In the engine I'm
expirimenting with Valvolene Duro-blend 20W-50. Mechanic friend says it has
benefits of both petro base and synthetic. Only have 350 miles on first try.

Ernest 'If we had an MG legal system I would be out of work' Gilbert
lawref@lawref.com
MGs: http://www.lawref.com/eeg/britworks/
Prs: http://www.lawref.com/eeg/eeg.html