Midget won't start...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Midget won't start...
From: Railroad2@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 12:53:36 -0500
Hello People,

I'm a little bit embarrassed to say my '66 Midget will not fire, and I'm not
having much luck fixing it.  I must have brain fade, but I'd appreciate a few
pointers.

There is good gas in the tank.  The fuel pump is pumping and fuel comes out
into a container when the line to the carb is disconnected.  When I
disconnect the #1 cylinder wire and hold it about an eighth of an inch from
the spark plug, I can see a spark jump each time that cylinder comes up on a
power stroke.  I have pulled this plug and it is perfectly clean and not wet,
so I'm guessing it's not flooded.

One odd think is that the fuel pump (a solid state Purolator job) keeps on
pumping as if it's not getting up to pressure.  As I said, it is pumping into
a container, but I haven't measured the pressure.

I looked inside the float bowls.  There is a tiny, tiny bit of sediment in
the bottom, but they seem fine.  They are not overflowing.

Finally, I tried spraying some starting fluid into the carbs while holding
the butterflies open and still could not get ANY ignition.  Not one
sputter...

The fact that the starting fluid is not igniting seems to be saying there is
no spark, but the wire sparks to the plug, so where does that leave me?  How
much of a spark should I see?

Last clue is that I'm a little bit suspicious of the two very light gauge
wires inside the distributor.  They seem pretty flimsy, but then again I'm
getting sparks from the wire to the plug.

PLEASE SUGGEST POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS, NO MATTER HOW OBVIOUS.

(I made a point to post this during the day since a lot of you seem to do
your e-mail during business hours when you probably should be working.)

Thanks.

Glen Wilson