Re: Midget won't start...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Midget won't start...
From: mgb72@airmail.net (MGB72)
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 00:11:07 -0600 (CST)
>Hello People,
>
>I'm a little bit embarrassed to say my '66 Midget will not fire, and I'm not
>having much luck fixing it.  I must have brain fade, but I'd appreciate a few
>pointers.
>
>There is good gas in the tank.  The fuel pump is pumping and fuel comes out
>into a container when the line to the carb is disconnected.  When I
>disconnect the #1 cylinder wire and hold it about an eighth of an inch from
>the spark plug, I can see a spark jump each time that cylinder comes up on a
>power stroke.  I have pulled this plug and it is perfectly clean and not wet,
>so I'm guessing it's not flooded.
>
>One odd think is that the fuel pump (a solid state Purolator job) keeps on
>pumping as if it's not getting up to pressure.  As I said, it is pumping into
>a container, but I haven't measured the pressure.
>
>I looked inside the float bowls.  There is a tiny, tiny bit of sediment in
>the bottom, but they seem fine.  They are not overflowing.
>
>Finally, I tried spraying some starting fluid into the carbs while holding
>the butterflies open and still could not get ANY ignition.  Not one
>sputter...
>
>The fact that the starting fluid is not igniting seems to be saying there is
>no spark, but the wire sparks to the plug, so where does that leave me?  How
>much of a spark should I see?
>
>Last clue is that I'm a little bit suspicious of the two very light gauge
>wires inside the distributor.  They seem pretty flimsy, but then again I'm
>getting sparks from the wire to the plug.
>
>PLEASE SUGGEST POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS, NO MATTER HOW OBVIOUS.
>
>(I made a point to post this during the day since a lot of you seem to do
>your e-mail during business hours when you probably should be working.)
>
>Thanks.
>
>Glen Wilson

To me it sounds like two possible problems.  You should check your timing,
and take the bottom of the carb. off and make sure that the needle is not
stuck. I worked on a '63 B that ran terribly (like lost compression from a
blown head gasket)  and all it turned out to be was a stuck needle on one of
the carbs.
hope this helps...
Chad
'72B