Re: Midget won't start...

To: Railroad2@aol.com
Subject: Re: Midget won't start...
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 13:29:50 -0500 (EST)
You have checked that there is fuel and spark.  How about squish?

That would be a compression check, and a timing check.

How long has this car been sitting?  Is the oil full, overfull, is it
still oil or has gas/water leaked into it?  Also, what air temperature is it
when you are doing this?

When we resurrected the Spitfire (my first LBC) we had a hell of a time
getting it started.  It turned out that 1) Yes, it was 40 degrees or
below outside 2) The oil was overfull, because of fuel contamination,
which was dragging the motor and fouling the plugs, and 3) The carbs were
varnished up, so even though the gas was good it had a hard time getting
through the carb.

Hope this helps.

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle
"Sometimes there's not enough rocks - Forrest Gump"