Re: Lucas - good or bad?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lucas - good or bad?
From: daveph@ix.netcom.com (David Hay )
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 12:30:54 -0800
David Councill wrote recently on Lucas:

>When I first started driving MGs, Lucas was the joke of the day. Sure,
>the usual breakdowns had some Lucas origin. I heard debates on the
>virtues of replacing Lucas components with those from Motorola and
>other companies. And there were the jokes about Lucas refrigerators
>and the like.

I too have definitely had my share of electrical problems. However most
of them turn out to be a result of corrosion and poor connectors. So I
really don't think that Lucas has truly poor quality. If anything it is
just neglect on the owners part to make sure that all electrical
connections are clean and solid. If they are and there are no shorts
then problems are rare.

With regard to Lucas in the present, I distinctly remember reading an
article within the last year that Lucas had beaten out Bosch to be the
exclusive supplier of electrical components for Volkswagen, AG. At the
time I read the article I was astonished. How can anyone do better than
Bosch? The Germans are sticklers for quality. Must have something to do
with balancing cost with quality or something or other.....

Does anyone else recall this bit of info? I may be forced to go digging
for it since this is sure to cause an uproar.

Dave Hay
77B