Lucas - good or bad?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Lucas - good or bad?
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 20:02:45 -0700
While spending a relaxing evening under my car, my mind began to wander. I
was pondering the wonders of Lucas and its historical evolution.

When I first started driving MGs, Lucas was the joke of the day. Sure, the
usual breakdowns had some Lucas origin. I heard debates on the virtues of
replacing Lucas components with those from Motorola and other companies. And
there were the jokes about Lucas refrigerators and the like.

But I still bought Lucas parts because they were the original components,
regardless of their reputation.

One day several years ago, we received a shipment at work. I immediately
noticed the familiar Lucas insignia although it was green. I worked at an
analytical lab, and the shipment was some samples from Lucas Aerospace in
North Dakota. When I talked to the customer, I asked about his connection to
Lucas Electrical. They were the same company! Lucas was now a respectable
company into other ventures.

In the past several years, it seems that Lucas has made some sort of come
back. When I went to get a replacement alternator for my Toyota Landcruiser,
the local parts store actually sold me a Lucas model!

Has anyone else noticed this? Is Lucas now top of the line? And what is
Lucas' reputation in England these days?

David Councill
dcouncil@imt.net
http://www.imt.net/~dcouncil/home.html