Re: Lucas - good or bad?

To: daveph@ix.netcom.com (David Hay ), mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lucas - good or bad?
From: BLECKSTEIN@SHELL.MONMOUTH.COM
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 19:38:22 -0500

>With regard to Lucas in the present, I distinctly remember reading an
>article within the last year that Lucas had beaten out Bosch to be the
>exclusive supplier of electrical components for Volkswagen, AG. At the
>time I read the article I was astonished. How can anyone do better than
>Bosch? The Germans are sticklers for quality. Must have something to do
>with balancing cost with quality or something or other.....
>
>Does anyone else recall this bit of info? I may be forced to go digging
>for it since this is sure to cause an uproar.
>
>Dave Hay
>77B

Dave   I always thought the reputation  cars, countries of origin and electical
suppliers get are sometimes a result of public relations rather than reality.
MG
is an example. My cars are always admired for looks by others, but are often
passed off because of their supposed poor quality and poor design. How many 20
+
year old Italian, Japanese or German Sports cars do you see on the road?

My son has a 1987 Porsche 944. It is really quite nice, but the electrics are
worse than any Lucus design on any of my MGs. With all our kidding about the
Prince of Darkness, I am not surprised if you are right about this new Lucus
contract with VW.

Mike Leckstein