Stubborn tie-rod end...

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stubborn tie-rod end...
From: "S. L. Hower" <howersl@ttown.apci.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 10:26:06 -0400 (EDT)
   MGers,

   As you may recall, I am in the midst of rebuilding the front
   end of my B- I've got everything apart, repainted and rebushed,
   and I am ready to start reassembly.

   I figured it would be a good idea to replace the steering
   rack gaitors while I'm down here as they were dryrotted. This
   requires the tie-rod ends be removed from the steering rack.
   Problem is, they are rusted solid and wont budge- nada, zip,
   no-workie.

   I soaked everything in a good penetrating oil for the last few
   days and heated it with a propane torch last night- but I doubt
   this is getting hot enough.  I dont have access to an oxy/acet
   torch :-(

   Anyone have any tricks for getting these blasted things off ?
   Failing that, does anyone have a good used steering rack ??

   --Scott

   Scott Hower  --> howersl@ttown.apci.com
   Air Products & Chemicals, Inc.
   7201 Hamilton Blvd Trexlertown, PA