Re: Stubborn tie-rod end...

To: "S. L. Hower" <howersl@ttown.apci.com>
Subject: Re: Stubborn tie-rod end...
From: Dirk de Boer <deboer@duke.usask.ca>
Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 10:18:56 -0900 (PDT)
On Thu, 2 May 1996, S. L. Hower wrote:

>    I figured it would be a good idea to replace the steering
>    rack gaitors while I'm down here as they were dryrotted. This
>    requires the tie-rod ends be removed from the steering rack.
>    Problem is, they are rusted solid and wont budge- nada, zip,
>    no-workie.

The tie-rod ends screw onto a shaft with two flats on it. If the rack
is out of the car you should put this shaft in a vice at the point
where the flats are. Then you can take a great big wrench and get the
tie-rod end off. Have you been able to loosen the lock nut? If the
lock nut won't come off you can always split it and get a new one.

Dirk