RE: Stubborn tie-rod end...

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Stubborn tie-rod end...
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Thu, 02 May 1996 15:02:00 -0700 (PDT)
I had a similar experience. One of the tie rod ends was rusted on. I torched
it soaked it and finally took my trusty die grinder (sp?) to it. I thought
cutting parallel to the rod would loosen the tie rod end and it would turn
easier. It didn't so I then cut down the other side . I could just see the
threads popping through the bottom of the cut on both sides. I could even
see through the tie rod end via the slots by the empty cavity at the end of
the rod and still no go. I then cut the end of the tie rod end off so that
only the sleeve was left which had been cut from end to end on both side and
it still wouldn't come off. I drove a chisel down the cuts to peal what was
left of the tie rod end off. It appeared to have been cross threaded at some
point. The new tie rod end wouldn't go on until I cleaned up the cross
threading. Hope you have better luck.

Chris Reichle
Have die grinder will travel...