Re: Stubborn tie-rod end...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stubborn tie-rod end...
From: Glenn Schnittke <glenns@edge.ercnet.com>
Date: Sat, 4 May 1996 02:28:54 -0500 (CDT)
>Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 10:26:06 -0400 (EDT)
>From: "S. L. Hower" <howersl@ttown.apci.com>
>Subject: Stubborn tie-rod end...

Snip, snip.

>   I figured it would be a good idea to replace the steering
>   rack gaitors while I'm down here as they were dryrotted. This
>   requires the tie-rod ends be removed from the steering rack.
>   Problem is, they are rusted solid and wont budge- nada, zip,
>   no-workie.

Scott,

Before you go for just the tie rod ends, you might check to make sure the
inner tie rods are still good. With bad gaiters, shmutz can get in and ruuin
them. The problem is that no one I've found sells JUST the inner tie rods.
The only way to renew the inner tie rods is to buy an entirely new rack.
Yes, it's expensive (c. $250) but a new rack changed my outlook on how a B
is supposed to handle. The difference in the labor is reshimming as opposed
to rebuilding AND reshimming. I'm saving for a new one for the primrose now.

If you find a vendor willing to sell just the inner tie rod assembly, let us
all know.

So, for getting the tie rod ends off, you've tried a ball joint seperator
and a sharp whack on the side with a wire wheel hammer?

Glenn
"Oh, look... he's fallen in da water..."

Glenn Schnittke                    Recovering Musician
Nashville TN                       615-385-2800
glenns@edge.ercnet.com             72147.3635@compuserve.com

'74 MGB - fatally wounded
'69 MGB - prim little touring car