I broke my '67 BGT

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: I broke my '67 BGT
From: "Ernest E. Gilbert" <barrister@lawref.com>
Date: Wed, 08 May 96 09:39:07 -0700
I took off in 1st and wound to about 5K. Shifted to 2nd and as I applied power
a definite knock appeared. Knock disappeared coasting. Knock is related to
power, Knock is not as solid as a rod but definitely substantial. Engine did
not idle unless some extra fuel was added via the choke but otherwise still ran
fairly smooth.

I babied it home about 2 mi and the temp was beginning to go up unusually for
the circumstances. Also was loosing more power as I drove. Oil pressure stayed
good.

Took off the valve cover. Some, not all, tappets now have as much as 1/8
clearance being more pronounced to the rear, but the rearmost is normal and the
extra clearance does not graduate evenly from tappet to tappet. No bent push
rods. All valves seem at proper level (no missing seats) and all rockers and
valve stems operate properly when I turn it over. There are no loose adjusting
lock nuts or other fastners. No knock or other special noise while turning over
with the starter. No water in oil or vise versa. Havn't done a compression test
yet.

Please, anyone got any ideas before I tear it out?

Ernest
barrister@lawref.com