Re: I broke my '67 BGT

To: "Ernest E. Gilbert" <barrister@lawref.com>
Subject: Re: I broke my '67 BGT
From: Michael Chaffee <mchaffee@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 12:15:51 -0500
On Wed, 8 May 1996, Ernest E. Gilbert wrote:

> I took off in 1st and wound to about 5K. Shifted to 2nd and as I applied
power a definite knock appeared. Knock disappeared coasting. Knock is
related to power, Knock is not as solid as a rod but definitely
substantial. Engine did not idle unless some extra fuel was added via the
choke but otherwise still ran fairly smooth.  > > I babied it home about 2
mi and the temp was beginning to go up unusually for the circumstances.
Also was loosing more power as I drove. Oil pressure stayed good. > > Took
off the valve cover. Some, not all, tappets now have as much as 1/8
clearance being more pronounced to the rear, but the rearmost is normal

[snip]

I seem to recall that some of the B-Series engines had a problem with
aluminum rocker pillars collapsing or something like that; the symptoms
were very much like what you describe.

Michael Chaffee
mchaffee@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

CCSO's secretary has officially disavowed any knowledge of my actions.