RE: Lights out!!

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Lights out!!
From: "Unger, Larry @ MAN" <UNGERL@Reston.UnisysGSG.COM>
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 96 17:05:00 EDT
>It sure is exciting when you own MG's. One adventure after
>another.  Latest heart-stopper was coming back late from an
>outing with the 64B. Coming round a country lane I hit the
>floor dip switch to turn-on my hi-beams and I lost ALL
>headlights!! Hit it again and got my regular beams back,
>thank goodness. Now, what should I be checking for so I
>don't have this recur on my way to Indy?

Let us *ass*u*me* that it is not a short in the wiring harness
since you did not blow a fuse ... then it has to be either a
loose/bad bullet connector or a bad headlamp dip switch.

The dip switch simply toggles power between the high and low
beam circuits.  The blue wire connected to the dip switch is
the feed from the headlamp switch ... the blue wire with red tracer
is the feed from the dip switch to the low beam circuit ... the
blue wire with white tracer is the feed to the high beam circuit
(and the high beam indicator light in the speedometer).

Bypass the dip switch ... with the headlamp switch off, locate
the bullet connectors adjacent to the dip switch ... disconnect the
blue wire with white tracer on the side from the dip switch ...
disconnect the blue on the side from the headlamp switch ...
connect the blue wire from the headlamp switch to the connector
on the blue wire with white tracer from the headlamps ... turn on
the headlamp switch.  If the headlamps work than the dip switch
is bad (or it could be the small piece of blue wire with white
tracer between connector and the dip switch) ... if the headlamps
don't work than it is the high beam circuit between the connector
and the headlamps ... check all the connections.

Have a nice time at Indy.

DISCLAIMER: I am not an electrical engineer and cannot be held
responsible if you let the smoke out of your electrical bits!

Larry Unger
ungerl@reston.unsysgsg.com