Re: steering rack

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: steering rack
From: Glenn Schnittke <glenns@edge.ercnet.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 14:43:51 -0500 (CDT)
>From: Bob McDonald <mcdonald@San-Jose.ate.slb.com>
>Subject: steering rack
>
>    I finally got the frontend rebuilt on my 67b this last winter, new
>    kingpins, bushes and bearings. Now I'm looking at the slop that I
>    still have in the steering. I'll be replacing the tie-rod ends for
>    good measure but I believe most of the play could be attributed to the
>    steering rack. I haven't seen replacement parts available to rebuild
>    the MGB racks. Is this one of those examples where I have to buck up
>    and buy a new one? Has anyone ever done a rebuild on a steering rack?
>
>    Bob mcdonald
>    mcdonald@san-jose.ate.slb.com

I've had to service the racks on both the maroon and the prim and haven't
been able to find anyone to ante up with any of the much needed parts.
Especially the inner tie-rods. You CAN take up some play by;

1. Checking to make sure the damper cap is shimmed right. Sometimes just
taking out one or two shims can do it all.

2. Check the ball joints on the inner tie-rods. You CAN re-tighten them, but
IMO you're just buying time.

3. The upper column. The bearings get loose after time and can fool you.
They seem to take a hell of a beating from the rack and if you've got any
vertical or horizontal play in there you can beat your head against the wall
looking in the wrong place.

4. The U-joint. Make sure it's not the source. I think U-joints are somehow
related to women's swimming apparel; the smaller they are, the more expensive.

It's worth the effort to at least try readjusting everything before buying
new. You might get away with it and you find out what's inside so you have a
clearer idea of what maintenance does what.

New racks go for about $260 from just about anyone reputable here in the US.
Last week I called a couple of places in UK and found I could get one in 5-8
days at my door for $225. New columns run about $275 here.

Glenn
Schmaltzando = A glissando with grease. Preferably chicken.

Glenn Schnittke                    Recovering Musician
Nashville TN                       615-385-2800
glenns@edge.ercnet.com             72147.3635@compuserve.com

'74 MGB - fatally wounded
'69 MGB - prim little touring car