RE: Primer...

To: "MG Autos" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Primer...
From: John Knight <taoistjd@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 96 14:50:49 -0400
Ross wrote:
>While work progresses on my GT I began to wonder what harm it could do to
>prime the bare parts with regular aerosol primer.  That will provide some
>protection till it's ready to hit the spray booth.  Any comments?  Is there
>any good reason why I shouldn't do this? I plan on sealing over the surface
>rusted areas with `Extend' which, I'm told, is a wonder product for exactly
>this.

I use a professional product, one of several, that you apply to bare
metal that do not inhibit using self etching primer.  Sorry, I son't have
the exact part Dupont part #.  It is in the shop across town.  You can
find this sort of product at most jobber part stores.  It is basically
just a rust inhibitor that seals the surface and is not photo sensitive.
I don't know if it still would do the job if you left it for an extended
period of time like years.  Regular primer does not provide a moisture
barrier and neither does bondo.

The only way that I have gotten extend to work is to hit the area with a
scraper and stiff wire brush till all of the outer layers of rust are
gone.  Then I have used extend to prevent the rust from spreading until I
was able to clean it up right, (blasting, cutting...).  The product does
not penetrate thru  thick layers of rust.

John Knight
'73 MGB (undergoing restoration)
"working on Brit cars is ALMOST as much fun as driving"
"of couse my responces are late - I get the DIGEST version"