Re: Brake fluid

To: mgs%autox.team.net@aphub.aerojetpd.com ("_MGS"),
Subject: Re: Brake fluid
From: KILE_PAUL@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Paul D Kile)
Date: 28 Jun 96 15:32:26 PDT
Andy, I would bleed out and change the brake and clutch systems each
year using DOT 4 brake fluid.  I would view the "use only DOT3 fluid
from a sealed container" info on your master cylinder with
skepticism.  Case in point...my 1974 B-GT V-8 owner's handbook
recommends using 90W gear oil in the tranny.  When I got the car, it
was impossible to shift into reverse on cold mornings. One of our
Club members who has worked on MGs for 30 years knew that the factory
had erroneously recommended 90 W oil for a period of about 18 months
in 1974-5.  They recanted their recommendation in a confidential
service bulletin, but there are still owner's handbooks floating
around out there recommending 90W.  I have gone to 30W non-detergent
engine oil in the trans and have had no problems.

Moral:  Even the factory can be wrong.  Castrol GT LMA brake fluid is
my potion of choice.

Paul D. Kile

kile_paul@aphub.aerojetpd.com

(916) 355-5162