MGA cooling

To: Mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA cooling
From: Ed McCarroll <EMCCARROLL@magnum.mco.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 1996 13:56:08 -0400 (EDT)
        I had some questions on the operating temperatures reached (about
        213 - 220 deg.F) in hot weather with the MGA.   Since raising these
        questions I have ordered some Water Wetter as recommended by
        someinterested souls.  While checking the cooling system once again,
        I noticed that when I place my hand in front of the radiator while
        the engine is running, I can feel a considerable draught of air
        in the center of the radiator and relatively less at the outer
        areas.   This is, of course because the fan blades are located
        at the center on the other side of the radiator.   It seems to me
        although without hard data to support the idea, that the peripheral
        areas of the radiator do not get the cooling benefits of the fan
        thus reducing the system's effectiveness.   Also, on the fan side of
        the radiator it appears that the fan may be drawing air from adjacent
        areas other than through the radiator.   Does anyone support the idea
        that a simple shroud made to surround the fan and perhaps attached
        in place utilizing the radiator mounting bolts might serve to channel
        most of the air through the radiator and provide increased air flow to
        the outer edges of the radiator core?    Has anyone done this before?
        Would it make a considerable difference?