Re: MGA cooling

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: MGA cooling
From: Kevin Sullivan <kevins@borris.khoros.unm.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 13:32:05 -0600 (MDT)
On Mon, 8 Jul 1996, Ulix Goettsch wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Jul 1996, Ed McCarroll wrote:
>
> >     I had some questions on the operating temperatures reached (about
> >     213 - 220 deg.F) in hot weather with the MGA.   Since raising these
> <snip>
>
> When do you achieve these high temperatures?
> If it is in traffic, then I would think that a shroud would help a lot,
> but if you are talking about highway driving, a shroud would not help
> because the fan is really only helping at very low speeds.

But remember we're talking A's here.  The aerodynamics at speed make it
hard for air to go through the grill, so perhaps the fan shroud would make
a significant difference.  A club member told me that bending the grill
slats to allow more airflow helped.  Anyone with an overheating A try
running with the grill completely removed?

Kevin Sullivan -- 1960 MGA                kevins@khoral.com
Khoral Research Inc.                      http://www.khoral.com
Albuquerque NM USA