Re: Undrivable Cars?

To: Robert J Donahue/DELCO <RJDONAHU@mail.delcoelect.com>,
Subject: Re: Undrivable Cars?
From: "Keith R. Bennett" <bubblegum@peppermint.win-uk.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 10:41:09
The motor insurance industry appears to work in the most arcane
fashion. One constantly hears the same stories. I hear about
cars which have been 'written off' by an insurance company and
are then handled by an auto salvage company who then offer them
for sale on a 'repairable' basis. This means they can appear
back on the roads again. My step-son-in-law has a Volkswagen
Polo, this was involved in a traffic accident and the front of
the car was pushed out of true. The insurance company involved
decided that the value of the car was insufficient to warrant
repairs and 'wrote the car off' and settling with my
step-son-in-law by means of paying him the 'book value' of the
car. My SSIL promptly buys the car back from them, at scrap
value, has the front end of the car re-jigged, repainted,
re-tested for road worthiness and it is back on the road again.

Don't ask me to understand because, as I said at the time, in
true Victor Meldrew fashion, "I just don't beleive it!"

Kind regards from:   | Alternative E-mail  | If Batman is so smart
KEITH BENNETT        | address located at: | why does he wear his
No.22  LU7 7PN       |                     | underpants outside
Bedfordshire England | Western666@aol.com  | his trousers?