Re: Undrivable Cars?

To: Robert J Donahue/DELCO <RJDONAHU@mail.delcoelect.com>
Subject: Re: Undrivable Cars?
From: "Robert F. Toerne" <robert@hcc-uky.campus.mci.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 22:54:54 -0700
Robert J Donahue/DELCO wrote:

> I heard a story about some car dealership that was flooded and the
> insurance company considered the cars totalled. The insurance
> company paid off, and then turned around and sold the cars for
> 500 dollars a piece. The story goes that these new cars could not be
> legally registered/driven in any state. Is there such a legal limbo
> that a car can get into? Does the insurance industry maintain a
> list of cars it has "totaled out", and refuse to ever insure them again?
> Can the manufacturer cancel the VIN numbers and thus make them
> illegal?
>
> Sorry for the lack of LBC here but I know some of us have
> resurrected LBCs from the grave and had legal problems
> getting them back on the road.
>
> Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
> 53 MG-TD, under DIY restoration
> 71 MGB, still in the shopIn Indiana and Kentucky, a car that has been
>"totaled" can be rebuilt titled as a
rebuilt wreck....good thing because LBC's don't take much to total and just a
little
attention to rebuild.  The insurance companies make money by selling these
totaled cars.
VIN's always stay alive, and if the car passes any applicable inspections, the
state
will be more than happy to take as much money as possible for reregistoring an
rebuilt
wreck.  This story sounds like "the dead guy in the Corvette" story.