Re: Need rust remedy!

To: Bruce pyle <pyle@bright.net>
Subject: Re: Need rust remedy!
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 17:14:44 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, Bruce pyle wrote:

> >I'm thinking about using an Eastwood product called Oxisolv. Has anyone used
> >this product? Can epoxy primer be used over it?
> >
> Don't know this one, but it sounds much like Extend which is a Locktite
> product and is sold at NAPA and other places.  It turns the oxide to ferrous
> phosphate. Does not require a pristene surface.  Tends to work in under
> edges and stop spreading cancer.  It serves as a primer or primer base.

Oxisolve is supposed to remove rust, so it is not the same as Extend,
which is supposed to convert rust to an inert, paintable surface.

I wish Extend worked; it would be wonderful if it did.  I am here to tell
you, however, that it does not.  Repeat, it does not work.  I have
followed instructions to the letter, primed, and painted.  The rust has
returned within a year every time.  Please do not use this as
part of your preparation for an expensive paint job; you will be wasting
your money.  Don't use it for a simple touch up, for that matter; you
will be wasting your time.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910